Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Breast-Bottle Battle

I'm gonna stop breastfeeding.

THERE, I SAID IT.

Before you accuse me of being a bad parent, allow me to explain exactly why I gave up on the breastfeeding business even though I don't really need to answer to anybody. That's right, I'm not just gonna stop, the term is giving up. And duh, don't you think a nurse knows the advantages and disadvantages of breastfeeding?

It took several days after Iaine's birth before I could breastfeed her because I just couldn't. The word that would describe the level of pain I was in after giving birth is yet to exist. So, the hospital had to start feeding her with S-26 Gold formula as prescribed by Iaine's pediatrician.

The pain only became tolerable a few days after we got home. And by the way, the cradle hold was the only convenient position for me because anything else would be a hassle.

The first time I breastfed there was no problem at all. Iaine latched on pretty easily and I was very proud of myself that breastfeeding came naturally. Instincts, that sort of thing. But the next few days of switching between pumping and feeding became such a chore. Iaine started to hate being breastfed. No matter how hard I offer my breast she keeps turning away. This goes on for so long that I couldn't stand all the crying, kicking and screaming. My mother-in-law and my husband have tried helping me out with positioning Iaine properly but she just keeps pushing away.

I've tried researching about breast refusal and followed the tips on how to breastfeed successfully with the help of countless mommyhood sites but to no avail. Iaine just hates it.

Surprisingly this week, things have been a little different. I tried the side-lying breastfeeding position which seemed to be successful, but don't get too excited. After about thirty minutes Iaine stared to push away again. And then more crying, kicking, and screaming. I was told to coax her to feed and not force but actually neither of those did the trick. So it's back to the bottle.

I guess that will be the case until she weans to a sippy cup.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

No comments:

Post a Comment