Monday, March 28, 2011

My Take on Sucker Punch

Jai and I saw Sucker Punch yesterday not because he's been begging me for days, but because I wanted to see it since I knew about it. This is a quick surprise review for y'all (and a bigger surprise for him I'm sure) so here it goes.

The story is plain and simple. Girl's mom dies and leaves her and her sister to their evil stepfather. He takes her to a mental institution and she's determined to find a way out of there. Take out the action scenes and I doubt it would last 15 minutes.

But I enjoyed it!

Some people wanna read too much between the lines but what they should really be doing is take it for what it is and meet it halfway. First of all, it's a fictional motion picture and it centers on a girl's imagination. How hard is it to understand that the sky is the limit with these movies? The film isn't perfect but it made an effort so I forgive its flaws.
Sucker Punch is like 90% CG but even so, real production design is still there and it's visually stunning. Costume and make-up are awesome. The girls looked great (except Vanessa Hudgens who looked like a real prostitute--STDs, zero class and high on a truckload of meth) but my personal favorites are Sweet Pea's warrior style that comes with a hoodie and Baby Doll's sailor style that was simple (her make-up was so intense that I guess they didn't wanna overdo her outfit). A bit whore-ish, yes, but I guess that was necessary. They could have worked a bit more on the script because it came on as mediocre and not too thought out, but the storyline is mindbending mindfuck. It will blow your mind which makes the movie's tagline "You will be unprepared" ever so fitting.
I don't wanna give too much away, but here's my 3 favorite parts of the movie:

1. Opening scene. I swear I was leaning forward in my seat and almost forgot Jai was sitting next to me. That hasn't happened to me in any theater before. That first part was grabbing and hard hitting. You never see something like that everyday.

2. First imagined fight scene. It was so badass and well done. Intense but smooth.

3. WWI (map). I especially liked Abbie Cornish and Jena Malone's sister act. That definitely stood out and I like their stance. Looked authentic, unlike the rest of the girls'.

The soundtrack is unbelievably GOOD. I've never been a fan of any of those artists, but now I am. Bjork, anyone?

There's a lot of debate going on about what is imagined and what is reality, but these movies leave that up to the audience. It's not the best film in the world but it certainly isn't the worst, so I would recommend it. If you would like to see 300 with a twist of Alice in Wonderland, I guess you would wanna see this.

A little tip: don't just watch, listen. Relax and enjoy it. There are some things to think about, but don't stress yourself too much. It's a fun ride.

score: 8/10

ps.
Vanessa Hudgens was so worthless in this, and so was her character. She deserved her fate. And YES I hate Vanessa Hudgenxxx. And that sobbing/leaning against a wall/sliding down to the floor thing? God, woman! Take some acting lessons or something. I loaaathe youuu.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

No comments:

Post a Comment