Friday, June 24, 2011

Final Diagnosis

Surprise! It's another milk+poop update! But before you get tired of it, let me promise you that this is the day that changes everything. This is where it gets interesting and shocking. Remember when I was all happy and shiz? Like in the 2 previous blog entries? Well it turns out I was wrong about something but almost solved the puzzle.

Yesterday Iaine had another diarrhea episode of 2 loose watery stools and 3 sharts (I'll let you figure that out for yourself). Diaper supply almost ran out and another diaper rash appeared, so I knew I couldn't let things get any worse than that. I decided to take Iaine to her pedia this morning to finally, finally get some answers behind her condition.

It's rainy season in this part of the world but my mom and I still braved the almost flooded roads of the city just to take Iaine to her pediatrician, Dr. C. If you read about the previous checkup in one of my other posts, I might have mentioned that the doctor who was in the clinic that day was only a substitute because Dr. C was out. I had no choice but to get a consult from Dr. M.

I'm no expert in medicine but somehow I had a hunch that Iaine might actually be lactose intolerant. I dismissed it of course, because Iaine's not showing any other signs besides diarrhea and it's all so sudden.

But after telling Dr. C all the symptoms, answering a lot questions, and after the physical examination she performed on Iaine, she came up with the answer to all this. Final diagnosis: LACTOSE INTOLERANCE.

Lactose intolerance is the inability to digest lactose. Lactose is a type of sugar found in milk and other dairy products.

Lactose intolerance happens when the small intestine does not make enough of the enzyme lactase. Enzymes help the body absorb foods. Not having enough lactase is called lactase deficiency.

Babies' bodies make this enzyme so they can digest milk, including breast milk.

Premature babies sometimes have lactose intolerance. Children who were born at full term usually do not show signs of lactose intolerance until they are at least 3 years old.


I have never met anyone who's lactose intolerant. Honestly I'm a little bummed out because this condition is so unfamiliar to me and I never thought in a million years that my own daughter will have it an one point. Dr. C said that the LI eventually developed in Iaine somehow, that's why it didn't matter what milk we gave her. But there's no point in being sad about it. In fact, I'm happy that we finally figured out the cause of all the diaper trouble.

Another thing that I realized is that Dr.M is a nincompoop. She didn't even have the slightest idea it was LI and all she did was unintentionally mock me by telling me all milk brands are the same. I know they're all derived from cow's milk you incompetent twit, I'm not a child. THEY'RE NOT ALL THE SAME. She seemed to really want to correct me but I'm sorry Dr.M, someone should revoke your license and burn it. I can't believe I wasted 300 pesos on a moron like you and I'm never getting a consult from you again.I mean come onnnn, just antihistamine meds? When you know it's diarrhea we're dealing with? Seriously? What the hell. I thought you were the doctor, not me.
So anyway, Dr. C advised that aside from the usual cooked meals, I should feed her yogurt and Yakult (cultured milk with live lactobacilli). She prescribed meds, vitamins, and sure enough, a new milk brand. Goodbye, Enfagrow A+! Iaine is now drinking Pediasure (by Abbot) which is a brand for especially formulated for lactose intolerant children (and it's a bit more expensive than other milk brands, too). All this new stuff is supposed to make her BM better so I'm following every doctor's order. I'm also keeping her away from dairy products as much as possible because that's what's mainly contraindicated with LI. I'm really hoping for the best now that we finally figured out what's going on.

This is the start of a long process and I'm gonna do everything I can to help my daughter get through this. It's only lactose intolerance after all, and my daughter is one tough cookie. =)

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

No comments:

Post a Comment