● Will I still feel the contractions and the urge to push after I get an epidural? Will I feel pain as the needle is being injected in my back? For how long does the epidural effect last?
● What's better? Intrathecal, epidural or the plain old pudendal block?
● Will the baby's head fit in the birth canal? Or would I have to get sectioned to get this baby out?
● Will an episiotomy hurt? For how long will the pain last?
● How does the intensity of the labor contractions (especially the 8-10 cm dilation part) feel like? Is it really hair-pulling/hand-biting/cursing inducing?
● Does morphine really get rid of the c-section post op pain like my mom says? If so, for how long?
● Does the crowning of the baby's head really feel like there's a ring of fire down there?
● How painful is the first latch-on of the baby? Would it really feel like she has teeth? How painful are the uterine contractions while breastfeeding?
● If I undergo a normal spontaneous delivery, what happens after they take the placenta out and stitch me up? How will they prep me for the recovery room?
● Will I feel drowsy from the spinal anesthesia while being sectioned?
These are only some of the hundreds of questions whirring in my head right now. I'm only four weeks away from my due date and there are so many things bothering me. I don't know if this is what you call fear of the unknown but all I know is at this point I'm afraid of a lot of things. They say an increased level of anxiety can worsen the pain of labor, but how can I help it when I just can't get decent answers to these many questions?
Every answer I get just seems so vague. And most of the time they say, "It's all gonna end up fine." But what if it won't? Sure, there could only be a small window for anything bad to happen because these days obstetric technology is high end and secondly my OB is a family friend of ours (not to mention our ninang sa kasal as well) so the trust is there.
But still. I'm driving myself crazy with this bottomless pit of questions. I'm hoping some of these will get answered tomorrow. I'll be paying my OB a visit again.